Planning and Zoning Goals
The following represents the general community goals associated with
Bertrand, Loomis, Atlanta and rural Phelps County:
- Maximize development and job creation opportunities to produce
the following estimated annual population increases for the next
10 years: Atlanta 0.7 percent, Bertrand 0.7 percent and Loomis 0.2
- Market Phelps County to increase population, broaden the economic
base and expand employment opportunities.
- The future image of Phelps County will depend greatly on the
willingness of the County to accept changes in the population and
economic structure of each community and the willingness of each
community to be a part of the ongoing planning and implementation
process of the County.
- Promote the preservation of the agricultural industry, including
the diversity of crop developments.
- Programs of citizen participation should be fostered in Phelps
County to maintain and improve the economic and social quality of
life of each community and the County at large.
- Foster and market the values of the residents of Phelps County
and encourage the development of organized local action to preserve
and strengthen the county and its communities.
- Establish a comprehensive program in conjunction with Nebraska
Games and Parks to promote the use of State Wildlife Management
- Develop and enforce building codes for Phelps County, Atlanta,
Bertrand and Loomis.
- Maintain and strengthen relationships between the County and
its communities to produce planning practices supportive of proper
land usage, economic growth, housing, public facilities and services,
transportation and recreation.